Monday 3 February 2020

After True Believers 2020

I'm amazed about how life changes. I remember how, the morning after True Believers 2016, I wrote a post about that con while my car was being repaired. This year, however, it's taken me a whole day and a half extra before I could make the time.

The joys of parenthood I guess.

Anyway, so True Believers return to our lives this past Saturday (the 1st) and, for me, it was a return after skipping out on last year due to an upcoming birth of my second child. But, while I was initially unsure that I would return again this year, a ticket for my birthday from my darling wife meant that, like the Rock, I was finally coming back to the first convention of the year (even if it wasn't at the same location), with funds for comics, a bag to carry them and my kids in tow (more on that in a bit).

Jack Kirby, this years' lanyard, joining my others from Cons
gone by.
I have to confess, as I drove to the Cheltenham Jurys Inn (TBCF's new home), I found myself a tad concerned about what I was walking into. While Troobs has never let me down before but I've had mixed experiences with Cons in Hotels (almost always involving Bristol).

Fortunately, I have to confess that I was glad to see my fears were unfounded. As soon as I got there I felt very much at home with friends aplenty scattered throughout a room which (I felt anyway) was very nicely spread out (apart from the one aisle at the back) to give all the patrons plenty of room.

That said, the day for me was a mixed bag, not because of the event itself but for how I handled it. As I've already mentioned above, I brought my children along for this rather colourful ride (mostly just to show off that which I'm most proud of. My reviews, my comics, this blog, can all burn down for all I care next to my boys!!!), with my wife electing not to join me inside, we split the load as my youngest went shopping with her and my eldest came with me before swapping for the afternoon shift.

Unfortunately, I overestimated the amount I thought I would get done in their presence as I momentarily forgot that they are my priority. That said, while the hello's were short and the purchases were minimal in the presence of my eldest, he was still good as gold (mostly) and his brother certainly made up for this by sleeping, allowing me to have some fairly in depth conversations, with Kev Brett and his incredibly talented nephew, Sam, Dave from FutureQuake Press, David Broughton of Shaman Kane fame, a number of Sarah's in the form of Millman, Dunkerton and Gordon about their respective titles, the standard Big Punch convo and a catch up with Disconnected Press and J.P. Kamath, who I haven't seen since Kapow many moons ago.

I also, had a nice wrestling based convo with Pipedream boss Alex and two-thirds of the ACP.

Therefore, in hindsight, I did actually manage a lot of conversations (I also spoke with Sam London, Sam Roads, Nick Bryan, Emily Owens and Gavin Mitchell, Grayham Puttock and Russell Mark Olsen briefly), and so I can't really complain that I didn't. I think the mistake was that I'm not sure I spoke in great detail asking about any of their future projects, but that was squarely my fault and probably down to rust from not being here last year.

Of course, I did manage to do one thing right and pick up a whole host of comics in my last 15 minutes:
The TBCF haul 2020!!
  • Vanguard Vol's 1, 2 and 3 - This was one of two mandatory purchases for the day and I'm glad that I could pick up all three (thanks to Dan's generosity) and I'll have to ramble my thoughts when I get to them.
  • Gateway City - This one from Russell Mark Olsen was a last minute decision given a lot of titles I gained interest in. However, the crime noir-esque cover piqued my interest enough that it made it to the top of the list.
  • Beast Hunting Battle Badgers #'s 4 and 5 - The second of my mandatory purchases for the day, Steve Sims comic series is equal parts gorgeous and hilarious. The only downside to it is that issue 6 wasn't available on the day (as it was in production).
  • Time and Vine - A lucky, cheap bin purchase from Proud Lion's stall. Time and Vine was a comic I heard about on the Creator Talks podcast and its concept, about using Wine to time travel, was such an interesting one that I couldn't resist taking this off my wish list.
Of course, there were plenty of other comics which I really wanted to look at but just couldn't afford it by the end. However, here they are noted for future interest:
  • NPC Tea Trade Kickstarter by Sarah Millman is currently underway and while I read issue 1 way back when, Sarah's revelation that the story ends at eight, makes me tempted to pledge once the coffers are replenished.
  • Closely by Grayham Puttock, part of the Red Rocket Comet/Glass Hood creative team, had this creepy horror/crime looking title (based on the cover) that I really should have picked up. Maybe next time!!!
  • FutureQuake Press titles also intrigued me after a conversation with Dave, the man behind the table. I've provided the Pipedream email so we can check out his comics, but I may also have to do that independently.
  • Extraversal by Big Punch Studios is maybe the last of the gang's comics which I don't own and, based on how it looked on the table makes it something to consider for next time.
  • Silicon Hearts by Sam Roads is one I've eyed up for years, but the recent reading of Kristos, bumped it up my ladder, just missing out this year. But I need to make more effort to purchase next time.
  • The Seven Sagas of Silverbeard is a comic I had the opportunity to read during January and, wow, was it a fantastic read. While only the issue I read was available, I do need to keep an eye out for new content.
  • The Vicious Creatures Collection by Sarah Gordon was an unusually looking collection of comics, but again ones which caught my eye (along with her other comic strip, well... Strip). This, like NPC Tea is becoming a collected edition and so I might have to look in to that.
  • Mulp #2-5 by Sara Dunkerton is the last and one I wish I'd got issue 2 for. The first issue was one I enjoyed unexpectedly and so I need to make a better effort to pick up in future.
Finally, while walking around, I was also Reminded about a load of comics I owned but were yet to read:
  • Samuel London's Milford Green - I pledged to the kickstarter but have yet to read the pdf. I need to get on that.
  • Vince Hunt's Stalkerville - I picked up when he was in Swindon.
  • Nick Prolix's Slang Pictorial Comics - Also picked up in Swindon.
  • Disconnected Press' The Story of Luis Aguado - This title I've had since the 2018 True Believers. It needs to be read pronto!!
  • Nick Bryan's The Catalyst - A high entry on the Pipedream Top 50, I need to get on Comichaus and really check this out.
  • J.P. Kamath's London Horror Comics - Not a title I haven't read (I read them long ago), but I think they deserve a re-read since J.P. and I's reconnection.
  • David Broughton's Shaman Kane - This has a fourth issue. Like Catalyst, I need to get on Comichaus and check it out.
I'm running out of lunch and so I'm gonna wrap this up. I really thought that going to True Believers, the only con near me, was a thing of the past after having kids as well as something I wouldn't terribly miss. However, the funny thing is that, despite the rushing around and the struggling to talk about anything substantial (from my point of view), going this year was a great experience and reminded me how much I love going and meeting people who are just like me.
 
It kind of does make me hope I can return next year (ideally with a bit more of a strategy in how I manage my time better).

No comments:

Post a Comment