Friday 14 May 2021

The Fantastic Catch Up (Fantastic Four #27-31)

After last week's diabolical showing on my part when it came to reading my personal comics, I started this new week with a greater determination to get some of my 'to read' pile cleared.

Fortunately, while time allocation towards familial duties haven't diminished from last week, I've somehow managed to find the time to work through my pull list backlog of Fantastic Four issues. However, I must admit that i was surprised about my reactions to each one of them.

First up was (naturally) issue 27, which picked up where 26 left off with the arrival of LOTS of intergalactic refugees and a familiar face or two. Now I found this to be just an OK issue. Now, I'm not sure if it was just the length of time between this issue and the last but I struggled to feel it as it came across a little dull as well as a bit confusing (though, of course, that may have been my fault). I found this issue to be very up and down, with good moments (the powerless Franklin being the hero) as well as some bad (a blatant Sue character moment as a mum wasted).

I think what really lost it for me was the art. I mean, the art was OK and it looked a lot like Javier Pulido's work on She-Hulk. Unfortunately, I'm quite hooked on the Zsaakse/Medina/Silva art we've been getting and so it was really missing for me. That said, see a house fold up was a cool visual.

Issue 27 left me with some questions (such as the origins of the Surfer's communicator. He didn't strike me as the guy to carry such hardware) but, on its own, this instalment didn't do much for me sadly.

Thankfully, as I moved on, issue 28 turned out to be SO much better. I really liked this instalment as we saw the conclusion to the Forever Gate/Griever story picked up from 27.

I've always felt that the middle issues of story arcs are the weakest and 28 helped prove that 27 was that with what I thought of as an awesome conclusion. The thing which really got me hyped was the art as R.B. Silva returned and brought back the look which has really won me over on this series.

Also, a lot of the various character dynamics got me truly engrossed. I've always been a fan of Bentley 23 since his introduction during the Hickman run, but his new father/son dynamic with Dragon Man was deeply intriguing. As was the mystery revolving around Reed and Ben's future disagreement which was hinted by the Griever's disagreement.

The resolution felt very Fantastic Four-esque once it got there, with Franklin's place in it seeming more obvious as the issue progressed. However, this didn't upset but actually restored some of my faith in the series.

Issue 29 and 30 were King in Black tie in. Really liked this and, by this point, I'm beginning to think this series only truly shines is when there is a tie-in. As with the Realm of Kings and Empyre issues, these two told what I thought was another engrossing side story to the main event, which occasionally intersected (the hint of the convo between Spidey and Johnny has me tempted to get the event proper).

I think what I liked most about this was that it really focused on that family dynamic in the sense that no family is perfect. The concept surrounding the event seemed to be put to good use here as the fractures between the various members of the Richard's clan were let loose.

There was also a lot more focus which seemed to be given to Johnny in these issues and his connection with Sky. Now, while I thought that this dynamic felt forced, maybe needing more groundwork in prior issues, it did come across as more natural by the end of the event. Also, i have to say the revelation about their connection which occurred in this arc turned out to be a a scary notion and I hope it is built on going forward.

All in all, this arc, from it's seamless working to Carlos' Joe Mad style art (which was gorgeously dark and suiting here) and even the way the resolution sets up the future, was fantastic to me. I really liked these issues and it had me in a good head space as moved into my final issue.

Finally, there was issue 31, which rounded off my catch up with a nice one and done which saw Reed and Ben use the Forever Gate to go on a boys trip to reconnect in a universe where every thought becomes reality (sounds like nothing would go wrong there).

Like the previous three instalments, I really liked this issue. This was an issue which felt like it had something of an even focus on the family, be it Reed and Ben, Sue, Franklin and Johnny, Alicia and N'Kalla and even Bentley and Valeria, each dynamic felt like it got its time to shine.

Now I will confess that I do wish it had been a Reed/Sue adventure going through the Forever Gate but, given the revelations from the last few issues, a Ben/Reed story now makes a lot of sense. The same is said, i thought of both the Sue/Franklin and Alicia/kids dynamics as both relationship felt like they had been leading the their respective moments and, as such, I found so interesting and enjoyable to read.

Once again, R.B. Silva's art had me fall in love and really makes the loss of Sean Isaakze and Paco Medina a little easier to live with with each additional issue. This issue also gave me what I never realised I wanted in more Bentley time, as his story from multiple issues culminated here in his wanted to confess his feelings for Valeria. His actions in response to this, coupled with the appearance bu the Wizard, has me intrigued to see where his journey is going to go next.

Issue 31 was, for me another terrific issue, which ended with an important direction for Franklin as well as a number of intriguing questions regarding the rest of the family.

And, in total, while the beginning of this catch up didn't meet my 'expectations' (for want of a better word), the fact that I had four consecutive issues which blew me away is the kind of thing i want from a FF series. I just hope that now a new 'arc is just round the corner, it can keep this momentum going.

Oh, and before I forget ...

So, while FF has been my predominant focus this week, I've also managed to hammer our a couple of reviews for Pipedream Comics. First up was Sagas of the Shield Maiden. Now there isn't much i can say about this comic beyond what went into the review proper, but this was a comic I enjoyed reading. The stories it contained were engrossing and really made me intrigued about the character of the Shield Maiden and who she was.

Meanwhile, all five different art styles were gorgeous (as was the Sweeney Boo cover which was truly breathtaking). This was a really great read and one I not only would want to pick up but also hope that it gets a follow up to give me more about this character.
 
I also reviewed the first two issues of a comic called for Destiny NY. Now, quite simply, I thought this was a fantastic comic and I really liked it from start to finish. It reminded me a lot of Breaks in its tone and content (as a slice of life romance) but also, its world and story made me think of the image series Excellence. However, unlike Excellence, which is about a young man trying to match up to his family's potential, this was about someone who's passed their life goal and is now directionless, something that resonated with me a lot (because I still have no clue at 37).

Meanwhile, the characters are really captivating, the plot intriguing (I have lots of questions) and the art is gorgeous (where I especially love the body positive visual of Gia). After reading these two issues, the trade has made it onto my Comixology wish list because I'm totally hooked on seeing where this goes.

Finally, while not something I reviewed, I also found time to read issues 1 to 3 of the all ages comic Thor & Loki: Double Trouble with my son. Now, I have to admit, I thought this would be a generic kids comic that I'd have no opinion about. However, by the end of each issue, I was surprised by how much I really liked this series.

The art but Superman Smashes the Klan's Gurihiru is gorgeous and perfectly suits the all ages aspect of the series as well as the fun tone. What I think I liked most about this is how it depicts the two Gods as regular scrabbling brothers, obviously taking a cue from Thor Ragnarok (Oddly enough the voices of Hemsworth and Hiddleston rung in my head as I read their dialogue) but also making me see my kids' dynamic in the pages (because what brothers don't fight).

This was a really good read and made me think about my unconscious bias towards these All-Ages books. I may have to re-think my opinions on them the next time the eldest wants a comic to read.

So that's another week done and it's been a good one if I do say so myself. I've hammered out a couple of reviews as well as read eight comics from my own stash and even managed a bit of time on my side project (less than an hour bit it's still time).

So now that my pull list comics are up to date (barring the two issues from this past Wednesday), I think the upcoming week will see me go and try to burn through a couple of trades (one review and one personal) just because i still have a lot to get through.

And who knows, maybe I can find some extra additional time for that other long dormant project I've finally gotten back to!!

No comments:

Post a Comment