Friday 15 October 2021

#418 - The Son of Superman controversy

For the second week running when writing what's in my head, I find myself doing a complete 180 compared to what I was thinking about at the beginning of the week.

I had planned to do a similar spilling of my head like last week as I talked about what I've been up to this week. Talking about the Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary issue and how I read White Ash for a review to go up at Pipedream Comics. I'd also planned to air my thoughts on Shang-Chi and the Legends of the Ten Rings as well as just bring up a couple of thought I'd had about if Kate Bishop could be X-Man Lucas Bishop's grandmother or some other distant relation (because he's from the future) as well as how I wondered why Steve Rogers didn't return the Soul stone at the end of Endgame to just before Black Widow died, giving it to Clint back as was planned and then sending her back to the moment he had just left.

(what can I say, these are the things I think about).

However, the desire to talk about all of this was replaced just this morning when my facebook came up with a friend posting support for a post slamming the recent Superman news.

I didn't say anything on there because everyone is entitled to their opinion but I found myself having some pretty strong views on it and, because this is my hill and these are my beans, I figured what better use for this than to air my views on the topic.

So, for context, a couple of days ago DC comics announced that an upcoming issue of their new Superman series; Superman: Son of Kal-El, was going to feature a same-sex kiss as well as Jon Kent, the new Superman, coming out as Bi-sexual.

Suffice to say, this announcement seems to have upset quite a few people, whose reactions seemed to have upset quite a few more.

(I'm curious where all of these numbers are when it comes to buying the comic but ... anyway)

I guess for me, I'm struggling to understand what all of the fuss is about. Many detractors have said that this is 'woke' (to which I still have no idea what this actually means) and 'diversity run amok' and all of that, but I for one don't see it being as big a deal as that.

First of all, the character in question isn't the original Superman; Clark Kent, but his son, a relatively new character (I'm pretty sure Jon was created in 2015) who had never been a superhero (or even a young adult) until very recently.

Second, some might say that this is pandering to the LGBTIA community or dismissing history by making the world's greatest hero anything other than straight. However, it occurs to me that there are at least two Black Supermen (three if you count Steel), an Asian based Superman, three Superwomen (at some point), a Supergirl (two of them if you count Power Girl) and a Superdog (to appease the dog lovers I guess). If making a member of the Super family not-straight is an issue, where were all these people when all of these characters were created.

Third, one of the Robin was recently outed as Bisexual, a character that has nearly 70 years of history. I don't recall anyone admonishing this revelation with the same gusto and I can only ponder why not?

Now, I've seen comments stating that this move over sexualises superheroes and that is the reason for people's dislike, citing that it threatens his child audience. Now, dismissing that point that kids probably rarely buy comics these days (middle age men appears to be the main audience), if a kiss between two characters, any two characters is a concern then maybe parents need to check what pop culture their child absorb (because I sure do). Besides, comics have had this kind of content for quite some time, just between more male and female characters, hence the comics code authority (and the various publishers equivalents since).

(Also, on this note, they should probably avoid any Bat titles because that guy does far, far worse ... Batwang anyone).

Of course, I can't deny the uncomfortable nature of this event in regards to younger readers, it is sure to open a rather large can of worms when they ask their parents "why is Superman kissing that boy?" However, this is a question that is going to come up sooner or later so why put it off? (I myself am dreading the conversation, but I am aware that it'll have to be done)

The more I've thought on this, I've wondered if that world's anger and vitriol toward this news was due to what I call the 'Diesel factor'. For clarity, way back when, WWF/E had a wrestler called Diesel, portrayed by Kevin Nash. When Nash left for WCW's greener fields, the Pandas with steel chairs decided to simply recast and keep the name, much to the chagrin of fans. I wonder if this is a similar issue, whereby people are outraged that their Superman has been benched and this new upstart has taken his name and his logo.

That said, I'm unsure if this is truly the case because there are currently four Flashes, seven Green Lanterns, 600,000 Batmen (it certainly feels like it), two Hawkeyes, a half dozen Spider-people (thankfully only one Deadpool) and a pair of Wolverines. In fact, there were four Supermen at one point so would having another one be such a problem?

In truth though, I feel like I'm trying to decipher meaning from the drunken ramblings of a sleeping alcoholic. Maybe attempting to understand why every single person has a problem with this is a fallacy (I mean I could read/watch all their interviews, but who wants all that negativity) as it can never be done.

Instead, I'm just gonna offer my two cents and thoughts on the subject (because again, my hill); Is this information really THAT important? Is this a gimmick that DC are putting out there? Oh, most probably. Was it announced simply to cause controversy? Of course. But, is it a mistake? No, I don't think it is.

The world has changed from when I was born (God, I feel old from that sentence). Walls (and, tragically, buildings) have fallen, technology has risen, borders have shifted and Leicester City has won the Premier League. People have changed too. There are more of us now and with even more people comes a greater number of characteristics to make us all different, so why shouldn't our heroes and fictional characters reflect these differences.

I would say that if you're a straight, white male then congratulations, the world is made for you and there is still your Superman available to follow (in Action Comics, which I hear Phillip Kennedy Johnson is absolutely killing it on). However, why on Earth (or even Krypton) should everyone else lose out? Superman is an inspiration to millions because of his views and beliefs; in Truth, in Justice, in ... well the global equivalent of that other thing. It doesn't matter what he looks like or who he fancies, as long as he still imbues these beliefs, then he'll still be Superman.

But that's what I believe anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment