Tuesday 15 September 2020

Star Trek: Hell's Mirror

So, I'm a Star Trek guy (in case that has ever been unclear). For as far back as I can remember I've always watched Star Trek, from a time that I was in school and my grandfather would come visit and ask to watch it. As with anyone else, it's probably a show I love due to what it says the human race can aspire to be.

That said, while I love Star Trek and its 'Utopian' concept, I've also be fascinated by the mirror universe. Since it first became a thing I was aware of (thanks DS9), I've relished every episode and arc that has appeared in canon. The Enterprise arc, the second half of Discovery, even going back to the TOS episode that started it all, I've watched them all, if for no other reason than to understand how the two universes are so different and the timeline of the Terran Empire.

As such, it went without saying that I was going to pick up Star Trek: Hell's Mirror #1 by the legend that is J.M. DeMatteis and Matthew Dow Smith, especially as I already have read Broken Mirror, Through the Mirror and the Mirrors and Smoke one shot in the last couple of years (which are all Mirror u stories). With Hell's Mirror, DeMatteis and Dow Smith reimagine the iconic discovery of Khan Noonian Singh in a galaxy rules by the Terran Empire. Once again, Khan finds himself at odds with the Humans in power as he takes the role of leader of the rebellion with former Enterprise first officer Spock at his side. However, can Khan really be the one to save the galaxy, especially when he comes face to face with the Mirror James T. Kirk? While not exactly necessary (in my mind) towards the universes history, it was something which intrigued me nonetheless.


And, suffice to say, I enjoyed it. Hell's Mirror was a fun and, in some way, insightful one shot as it showed just how devastatingly charming and idealistic Khan of the Original Series could be. It was also quite intriguing to find that, like our world, the Mirror Universe is made up of both good and bad people. Now, obviously this goes without saying but through all other stories so far I don't think I've seen a single character to be anything other that cruel, brutal and manipulative. However, to discover that Ma and Pa Kirk may possibly have been kind, caring people makes me wonder, were they really arrested for crimes against the empire or simply not being of the right emotional makeup for the Empire's liking.

As for the art, I absolutely loved what Dow Smith did in this issue. I'm a big fan of J.K.Woodward and loved what he did on Mirror Broken way back when, so I was concerned with Dow Smith's announcement on the book in that regard (see Through the Mirror for justification of my concerns). Fortunately, while I've never read (yet) a comic he's worked on, I remember his interview with Creator Talks well enough to give him a chance and I'm glad I did. This is because Dow Smith's looks has such a classic vibe to me and looks so much like the Original Series that it works really well to translate the story and characters to the page. As such, it really disappoints me at the end that it is only a one shot and that there'll be no more art (although at least it means the story wont be stretched too far).

However, while I did enjoy the issue, it did leave me with lots of questions like How does Kirk still have a copy of once and future King if enterprise is destroyed?
soeaking of which, if Spock needs Kirk's secret device (that I cannot remember the name of) which is on the Enterprise, how does he become Emporer? Is Khan the Ward of Star Trek? An opponent of the regime regardless of their philosophy (though I'm now suspecting he's somewhere between the two, which could conceivably make him an enemy to both).
Why did spock betray Khan, was it simply that he saw the writing on the wall and he is a product of the universe he exists in? And finally, Is literature really illegal (Because Phlox compared shakespeare amongst others in the Mirror episodes of Enterprise)?

Of course, my concerns about the continuity didn't change the fact that I enjoyed reading this issue. In fact, it does make me hopeful that we'll see a follow up series to show the rise of Spock at some point (while confirming Mirror Kirk's ultimate allegiance).

In the meantime, though, another worthy addition to my Mirror Universe collection.

Oh, and before I forget …

This past week's review by me over at Pipedream comics was for Shadow Service #1 from Vault Comics by Cavan Scott and Colin Howell.
Shadow Service #1 from Vault comics.
Now, as usual, the meat of my thoughts are to be found over there. However, I've got to admit that this was a tough review to write. The best I can say is that it was an ok comic, with not much to write home about, although that feels very disingenuous to say.


The thing is that I felt this issue was very exposition heavy and while that wasn't entirely bad, it just felt like it dragged the story along rather than allowing to it race ahead (or even trundle along). I also realised that while it was a fun quirk to say 'Jessica Jones in a 'insert magic based comic here' world', the more I thought about it, the more I felt the character was very similar to Jones.

The art, on the other hand, I liked but I couldn't think why. In the end, I realised as I wrote the review and scanned the pages that it was because it was  very Black Science in comparison, especially that one gruesome scene. This makes it a win for me because I absolutely adore Matteo Scalara's artwork and so anything that can homage it so well deserves a like from me. Also, I really loved the making magic words a different colour as it implied their spiritual or mystical difference (although it now occurs to me, why didn't the guy at the start have magical words assuming he was possessed).

Anyway, it's not a perfect issue (of course, what comic is), but for all it's faults, it has left some questions unanswered which makes me curious to return. As such, I sure couldn't write it off and had to suggest people at least check it out (because I sure might come back ... maybe when there is a trade).

So, that's been my week. I got to read, review and even work on my ongoing personal project. All being well, I can keep that up for the following week (mainly because I'm planning a Fantastic Four reading week).

No comments:

Post a Comment