Tuesday 1 September 2020

X-Men/Fantastic Four (the Zdarsky/Dodson edition).

It's been a tough challenge this week, making time to read some comics. Fortunately, I have finally managed to fit in those comics which I had been wanting to read for a good few weeks.

X-Men/Fantastic Four #1-4.
Gorgeous covers, but why
was the fourth issue black?
X-Men/Fantastic Four, also known as 'X4' (well, by me), a four issue mini series by the increasingly awesome Chip Zdarsky and the husband/wife artistic power couple of Terry and Rachel Dodson focused on Franklin Richards and the tug-of-war conflict between his family (FF) and his people (the X-Men). This begins after Franklin uses his waning powers to stop an invading spaceship (FF issue 11), bringing him to the attention of the X-Men. As a result, Professor X and the council of Krakoa offer him his rightful place and the chance to cure his power problem, something Franklin is eager to take after his father's apparent failure. However, with the Richards' unwillingness to let their son join with the now suspicious mutant society, the lines between the two teams are drawn and that's before Dr Doom walks out onto the battlefield with his own offer for the eldest Richards child.

From the moment this series was announced, I've been eagerly awaiting its release. I'm a big fan of the Dodson's work after first seeing it during the Wonder Woman arc, Who is Wonder Woman?. However, the real draw here was the news of Chip Zdarsky as writer, who has written (in my opinion) the best Fantastic Four book of recent times in Marvel 2 in 1.

Suffice to say, I was expecting great things from this mini!!

Within the story, Zdarsky delivers me exactly what I wanted; a story which in some way depicts the father/son relationship between Reed and Franklin Richards. Reed is, of the four, my favourite character as I relate to a lot of h

is habits and personality traits (I'm confident he is Aspey) and this is very much his story. I also believe he is a loving father who struggles to explain his feelings to his son (or anyone for that matter) as they lack a scientific, quantifiable explanation. Therefore, to watch as Reed is constantly belittled by all around him as uncaring and/or manipulative while the opposite is apparent throughout really had me engrossed.

Ok, when did Doom get an
Island?
Meanwhile, on the other side of the fence, the X-Men come off as incredibly sinister and creepy, which helps me commit to getting behind Reed's point of view. Of course, I thought there were merits to their arguments and Reed was jn no way perfect, but every action performed by Xavier and his group seemed way out of place for them and almost villainous compared to what I know of the X-Men (which, admittedly, isn't much). Of course, that thinking excludes Kitty/Kate Pryde, who I feel is very much the outsider of that cast, both physically and emotionally/opinion wise. From the outset, the former Shadowcat comes across as completely against the grain in regards to the Krakaoians views and plans for Franklin, often going with her 'gut' and making decisions on instinct which focus purely on him. It makes me wonder if her status as a Mutant unable to use the Krakoa gates prevents her from being manipulated in a similar fashion to all other Mutants and so her physical outcast status I.e. having to travel by boat prevents her from being considered as an 'X-Man' in line with their new thinking.

Of course, while I did wonder some deep stuff about this story, there were some quibbles which I felt bugged me a little about it.

Probably the thing which vexed me most was how the story wasnt also from Sue's perspective. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed where it went but I do feel that it was very much a Reed/Franklin story and not a Reed/Sue/Franklin story, despite Sue's strong presence. I guess I've recently had my eyes open to Sue's marginalisation during stories and kind of hoped for more here.

Of course, this isn't the only quibble as I also thought the story overall had a rather easy resolution. This is because, given how aggressive everyone seemed to be at the beginning and onwards, I really felt that by the end everyone had done a hard 180 to all be on something resembling the same page. Of course, it now occurs to me that maybe the 'obligatory' team up allowed both sides to see the others perspective but it still bothered me slightly (if not enough to ruin everything).

Finally, there are the 'so minor they arent worth thinking about' points which are mainly the return of Machiavellian, insidious, nasty piece of work Valeria. I wasnt a fan of this character prior to the series cancellation, but I had hoped that it had been left behind upon their return. However, its reveal and return through this series didnt do any favours in helping me like that character (who is still my least favourite of the team). Also, all the years fighting Doom (and even running Latvaria for a spell) and the FF can't speak Latvarian?

Terry and Rachel Dodson plus Laura Martin really does
equal some truly 'fantastic' art!!!
Now, I haven't mentioned the artwork thus far and that's not for any reason other than the fact that the Dodson's gave me exactly what I wanted; truly gorgeous artwork! Like every cover for the series which teased it, every panel was spectacular with its deep inks and Laura Martin's vibrant colours. Of course, my lack of artistic knowledge/capability limits how I can best explain it further, but this is definitely a case of I know what I like and this is as much it as anything else I've seen.

So, by the end, it wasn't perfect (but then, as I was recently reminded, what is) but I enjoyed it, even if it didn't quite meet my initial expectations. However, its final scenes which made a sort or epilogue left the me with questions about where this series could, which I up until then thought might be a simple tale with no ramifications, might lead to. Maybe a sequel run or some revelation in a future event for one or both of these teams? I honestly dont know, but that last moment has me excited and was a fantastic (no pun intended) cherry to top a fun, solid story.

Oh, and before I forget ...
Hush Ronin #1 by J. Paul Schiek.
Also this week, after reading Rebecca: Tales of Resonant a few weeks back, I decided to read Hush Ronin #1 by Rebecca's artist J. Paul Schiek (@schiekapedia) for a review on the Pipedream comics site.

Now, pretty much all of my thoughts are in that review once it is posted. However, in short, I really enjoyed this issue. The art in particular had this very traditional (in respect to what it was showing) and action orientated look which looked fantastic (a word fitting for this post) and I really loved.

Of course, the story was good too, although I found the Ronin's character to be contrary to what I thought it should be. I guess my opinion of a Samurai's character is too much defined by those I've seen in other media.

There are a couple of pages which look a little confusing towards the end, as the dark art is difficult to fully get what's happening, but it's a small blemish on an otherwise stellar read.

I for one can't wait for another issue (although I may be in for a bit of a wait it seems). But if you haven't checked it out then I recommend that you do.
 

So that's another week done and while it felt a little bit compressed, I only read X4 the weekend before I wrote/posted this, at least I've made the time to read more than a single issue at a time. Which, along with a comic for review and carving out an hour of my time to work on my 'other' project, it feels like I'm starting to find my groove.

Next week a comic is already chosen for Pipedream review and I'm gonna make time for my 'projects'. However, personal reading hasn't yet been chosen but I'm thinking, in honour of the late Chadwick Boseman's passing, it'll be something Black Panther related.

No comments:

Post a Comment