Tuesday 27 July 2021

#409 - Off the Racks: Blue and Gold #1

It's a rare occasion that I just pick something up off the shelves at my LCS on a whim (although, granted, it does seem to be becoming a more common occurance). This is mainly due to how I plan for everything to ensure I never go over budget (yet consistently fail).

This week, I read Blue & Gold #1 by Dan Jurgens and Ryan Sook, having picked it up last Wednesday. This issue saw the titular duo of Booster Gold and Blue Beetle come (back) together to rescue the Justice league from a spaceship of alien abductors. However, neither man is operating at the top of their game as Beetle struggles with his self esteem, while Booster (never short of self esteem) struggles to find an audience for his superheroing video website. But maybe coming back together can find them solutions to both of their problems, and even get them spots on the Justice League team.

As soon as I saw this at my LCS (well, their Facebook page detailing all their new releases for last week), I was absolutely excited and needing to buy this. I've always been a fan of the Blue Beetle/Booster Gold team, despite never actually seeing it in action (I only discovered them AFTER Ted's murder by Maxwell Lord). I guess you could say I'm a fan of the idea or legacy this pairing bring and, as such, this comic by one of their original influences in Dan Jurgens was kind of a foregone conclusion.

Unfortunately, Blue and Gold #1 turned out not to be my thing. I think the problem I had with it was that Booster was just too obnoxious for my liking. In fairness, this is entirely my problem because my only interactions with the character have been 52 (which I don't really remember) and the stellar Justice League Generation Lost where he came across as so much more driven. Blue Beetle, on the other hand, was much more enjoyable character to me as the positive, loyal to a fault persona I remember him displaying felt here, even as he attempted to deal with his own issues behind the scenes.

Ryan Sook's art looks pretty solid to me, like early 2000's house style (e.g. 52, Infinite Crisis, things like that) and I had no problem with it. However, I struggled to get past the story enough and so the art didn't really impact me as much as maybe it could've/would've.

I really wanted to like this comic and, prior to reading it, had already justified going over my budget (again) to get the whole series. However, it didn't have what I was wanting from this comic (through no fault of its own) and just didn't grab me.

Oh, and before I forget ...

I got a couple of reviews done in the early part of this week as well, although only one has been posted. This one was for Midnight Highway #1, which I was told looked really good. Sure enough, it was and I I absolutely loved this issue. I thought is was an extremely engrossing issue which hooked me almost immediately. The story had this real 80's vibe to it that just made think of a whole slew of 80's made and set horror films/shows (including, the eventually discovered, Lake Placcid). When it reached the end, I found myself with so many questions that I was eager to have answered.

As for the artwork, I thought it was absolutely gorgeous. I really felt that the work in this book was of the highest quality (like big 2 level) and just perfectly vibed as a horror style. The thing which got it for me was how it looked near identical to Black Science, which in itself is a sell for me (although it seemed so much more outlandishly colourful).

In all, this was a fantastic comic to read and I'm glad I got the honour to read it. This one I'm gonna go and get as a printed trade once the whole series is out and that should tell you all you need to know about how good I think it is!

I hadn't planned to release this post as is because more was going to be read. However, I guess I had more to say about Blue and Gold than I realised. It's just shame that it was more on the negative side. The sad truth is that even a good book can't be for everyone and this one wasn't for me.

Anyway, I've still got the rest of the week left to get through and I'm already onto reading another comic. Therefore, hopefully, I can get a second post out before the week ends.

Because, I really don't want to mess up my schedule again.

No comments:

Post a Comment