Friday 9 July 2021

#404: Off my Pull List - Fantastic Four #33

After a week for doing writing less than I normally do followed by a week of writing more. I feel like I'm back on balance this week.

Of course, that isn't to say that I've read more this week because that is certainly not the case. However, with most of what I did read being mid-issues for limited series I'm going to (probably) talk about later or reviewed comics, the bulk of this post was going to be about the only ongoing comic I read.

Fantastic Four #33 picks up on #32's revelations, as the first family take a trip to Latveria to witness the Wedding of Dr Doom to his super-powered champion, Victorious. However, with his recent tryst with Latveria's heroine still fresh in his mind, Johnny Storm decides to sneak over to the bride-to-be chambers to make sure that this is really what she wants. Of course, in the time honoured tradition of ALL fictional weddings, hilarity ensures.

Now, my relationship with the Dan Slott run has been tumultuous and say the least. However, this series has really started to pick up in my opinion over the last 6-12 issues and this newest instalment is no exception.

I really liked this issue as I felt like Slott was really building today his 'Unthinkable' level Doom story with this arc (although I unsure it will meet that level). This was very much a Doom story and Doom really felt like a true Doom. I also felt like we had finally discovered Victorious' true reason f for being in the overall story (although it was sad that she was reduced to merely 'catalyst'). As this issue progressed, I did find myself wondering about Doom's feelings towards Victorious for, while he made a big speech about how it was a purely political move, any of his actions in the issue implied an almost softening of his viewpoints. Of course, Doom was still Doom and talked and sounded exactly like the man should, but many of the actions he takes prior to the wedding, not to mention his reaction when it arrives, says that he was more invested than he admitted and it resulted in a 'softening' of his persona.

Meanwhile though, the four felt a bit underused, although given this was Doom's issue that makes some sense. That said, out of the FF's roster, this felt very much like Johnny's issue as he went about doing the almost run standard of juggling his love life. I've softened on my thoughts of events from last issue. Sure, it was a crappy move by the Human Torch but given that he is a man fueled to self-sabotage it does make some sense. Johnny's whole arc during this run has been to find 'the one's but while that works in theory, I do think his crippling over compensation of his self-esteem makes him self destruct and his actions here would support that in my opinion. As such, I'm interested to see how this story ends and where Johnny goes from here, although I have a sneaking suspicion that the fan-favourite theory of being outed as part of the LGBTQIA+ community (which I'd be totally on board for) will not be the direction which Marvel goes, which is a frustrating realisation.

Otherwise, the rest of the cast felt like they were equally underused (which given this was more of a Doom-centric episode makes sense), although I realised as I read this what many have said about how the Invisible Woman was utilised. I realised how, in this issue, just how cardboard cut out she came across, with a very generic, blank persona. Hopefully, it is just the way this issue was written and not over the run as a whole, but I might have to pay more attention to that going forward. The same could be said of the (presumably) departing Sky, whose moment in this issue seemed like much of her total appearance in that it's totally forgettable. I do feel like it was a waste of a character and that she's essentially been a mcguffin to further Johnny's. I realise now that it sounds like I being negative on the issue and that's not it, but it's just how I realise these points as I read through the issue. I also had one more, possibly unimportant question on this issue; is one of the Dora Milaje meant to be Okoye?

Anyway, once again I'm absolutely on love with R.B. Silva's artwork in this issue. I remember having concerns when Silva took over the art duties from Paco Medina and Sean Isaakze, simply due to how much I liked their work. However, this issue (much like his past ones) continue to show me that Silva's work is real chef's kiss work. I absolutely love his rendition of Doom here and the scene of the big reveal with Namor laughing his head off was hilarious (although I'm not as much of a fan of the Sub-Mariner's current look). Then there is that that final full page scene which looks ... well, Fantastic as it teases what will come next month.

For me, this was another great instalment of the World's Greatest Comic Magazine, and certainly has me excited as it heads towards the 60th anniversary special. That said, I am fearful of the BIG change that is around the corner and that it'll stupid/superficial and will amount to nothing more than quick, sloppy and easily retconned (by a later creative team).

But until it comes out, I'll try and err on the side of optimism.

Oh, and before I forget...

I did read a couple of other comics (as I pointed out at the start). First of those was Fantastic Four: Life Story #2. Now, this was a good read and I enjoyed reading the whole series of events from Sue's perspective and how Reed can be a bit of a dick when he is too wrapped up (we already knew this but so rarely do we see it so blatantly. That said I did, again, struggle with the changes compared to the 'prime' timeline, with the Doom and Namor's changes being particularly hard to grasp.  Speaking of the latter, I also found it a little annoying that Sue left Reed to be with namor. Why couldn't she just leave? I wonder if it is to fit the Spider-Man chronology.

Anyway, I Loved Sean Isaakze's art here (glad he was able to stick around in the FF corner in some way) as it had this period authentic kind of look which was very agreeable to me. Also, there was a panel of Doom holding a welding mask to imply what he'd become was just so iconic in my opinion. I'll most likely talk at length about the series when all issues are out but, for now, this is holding steady as a good read and am intrigued about where the rest of the series goes.

I also submitted a review to Pipedream Comics for Markosia's Rammur #1. Now, I enjoyed this comic and found it to be an entertaining read. I'm not really sure what I can say to build on what I've put in the review, as both the story and the art are solid throughout and the concept, while maybe not themost original thing (although I can't think of an example) was intriguing and well executed.

Of course, I wont lie that i had a concern that the character came off as slightly Chauvinistic as I read it but I do wonder if that's simply a case that I read too much into it and that future instalments will amend my thinking there. Overall though, i really liked this and would be more than happy to check out the future issues (if only I could have read it prior to the end of their indiegogo campaign).

Finally, I was able to read Thor & Loki: Double Trouble #4 with my son, finishing off that series as it saw the brothers join up with their female counterparts in order to locate the sphere they need to go home. I have to confess, much like what I thought of the first three issues, I really enjoyed this finale, finding it an adorable and fun cap to an adorable and fun series.

The art from Gurihiri continues to look gorgeous in it's cutesy way and the voices in my head were once again mirroring the MCU's finest. All in all, I thought this was a good issue and a good series, a view that I think was agreed upon by my eldest. However, unlike him, I'm not sure that I'll feel the need to read it again (at least anytime soon). That said, I think it was a good little series that will certainly change my view on all ages comics and (hopefully) work to cement my kids conversion to their old man's hobby.

Anyway, that's been my week in a nutshell. Unfortunately, as the week has progressed, I've found I've struggled to make time to do more. The plans for the week had been to start scripting a new idea (at least the first two or three pages) as well as to start re-reading Lemire and Sorrentino's Green Arrow (simply because I wanted to see if the their entry into the 80th Anniversary really was an epilogue for this series). Unfortunately, real life has gotten in the way, reducing the former to only one page and dropping the latter to the cutting room floor entirely.

Hopefully, next week will fare a little better for both these as well as some other reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment