Friday 4 February 2022

#438 - The first pull list post of 2022

After a month of reading trade after trade (nine of them in total, which is a surprise for me as I always plan to read no more than one a week), I thought it was time that I devoted myself to the single issues that had been filling my pull list at my LCS

That said, it wasn't exactly a large amount given that some on my list actually belong to my son (Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic: Imposter Syndrome) and one of mine had been delayed into February. Nonetheless, three comics is still enough to occupy my week (especially given that I was reading something else at the weekend).

The first of my reads for the (working) week was Fantastic Four #39, which picked up from it's prior issue to continue in the battle between the Richards family and the Wizard for custody of Bentley 23.

Now, as I looked at the cover, I have to admit that I expected an improvement on issue 38, which was ok but didn't really wow me in anyway. However, I almost expected some sort of questioning of various versions of Franklin Richards from across time and reality as they all spoke up in defence of the Richards clan (or, more specifically, their parenting style), culminating in the Wizard's (legal) defeat. However, this was not the case, as the issue instead seemed to continue at the rather slow, almost boring pace from the prior issue.

I mean it wasn't all that bad as I thought Slott had created some wonderful Father/child moments during this issue (although it is a real shame that one of them couldn't be used for Sue. It does make me realise that she gets a bit of a raw deal, focus wise) as well as the final shock reveal (although that was a bit of a double edged sword for me because while it is a surprise, I don't like how it changes the status quo a bit). Also, I loved Pacheco's art work (Seriously! How are there so many great artist doing this style? and how have I never seen it/their work before this run??) as well as the Easter eggs referencing the various Wizard's origin issues.

Unfortunately, while there were bits and pieces that I really liked, the overall story was only 'ok' to me (although probably better than its predecessor). It does make me wonder if this two-parter was just a filler story to spin the wheels until we get to Reckoning War. Hopefully, the events in this issue will be relevant to the overall arc but, for now, it's a shame because FF was having a good one there for a while.

After that, I read Star Trek: The Mirror War #3, which continued the Mirror Universe Enterprise's mission to gain power for their Captain Picard by capturing a secret shipyard located within Klingon/Cardassian space.

Unfortunately, as seems to continue to be the case with this story, this issue turned out to be a real struggle. I mean, issue 3 once again started well with another fantastic and gorgeous cover. Sadly, I did think that it seemed to be the best part for me.

I think the problem with this issue (and Mirror War as a whole) is that I'm not sure if it is a story which is designed to be read in instalments. As a result, any momentum gained from previous issues is lost during the month (or maybe two) wait between entries. Again, as with FF, this issue is not a bad issue, but it does feel standard and gives a feel that it is just going through the motions with little in the way of twists (although it is nice to see how this all connects to the DS9 mirror episodes (though I wonder why didn't Smiley mention this at any point?)).

Otherwise, much like the issues prior, Mirror War's third issue is ok. While the story is slowly progressing and the art is solid (though not Through the Mirror's Woodward work), this run (so far) isn't convincing me to come back for any fourth story. At this point, I'm just hoping that it reads better when all issues are read together.

My third read was She-Hulk #1, which saw the Jade Giantess begin the road to recovery after many years of being more Hulk than She-Hulk as Jen Walters sets about getting a new job, a new home (as she crashes with the Wasp) and a new Status Quo with nemesis Titania. However, this new beginning gets interrupted when a formerly dead Avenger shows up at her door.

Now, I was umming and arring over whether to buy She-Hulk or not and even when I did pick up a copy, I found myself hesitant to break it open. The reason for this was that I had been hearing so much praise and hype surrounding what Rainbow Rowell and Roge Antonio had done in this issue that I was afraid my expectations were going to be too big and that She-Hulk wouldn't meet them.

Fortunately, all my worrying seemed to be for nought because I thought that this opening instalment to be a fun, colourful and light-hearted read which felt like a real throwback to the Slott run (at least the issue I read). Certainly, in the aftermath of the last few years and runs the character has been involved in, it certainly reads like the beginning of Jen Walters leaving a very dark cloud and finding the start of a new lease on life. 

It wasn't perfect for me, of course, as the issue did seem to lack an overall direction for the series and the last minute guest appearance felt a bit forced (I wonder if it is down to Reckoning War that this character appeared), Nonetheless, this was still a good read for me as it was easy-going and full of vibrancy and showing off a nice new dynamic between Shulkie and Titania that I look forward to seeing more of. In fact, I look forward to seeing more of this entire comic as a whole, so I guess I'm going to add this to my pull list full time.

And that's my week, and my January's worth of single issues, done. To be honest, I was a little disappointed with the ratio of good comics to just genuinely ok. However, in fairness, I'm expecting great things from Reckoning War next month (because who wouldn't about an event 15 years in the making) and I'm hopeful that when Mirror War is completed it'll come across as a much better read combined than as singular issues. Therefore, I guess this is a month consisting more marathon comics than sprint ones.

Fortunately, if there is one silver lining, it's that She-Hulk has certainly convinced me to add it to my Pull List permanently. As a result, it certainly builds up the number of reads I'll have for the end of February.

No comments:

Post a Comment