Friday 25 February 2022

#442 - Catching up, part 2: the February Pull List.

Ok, so the original plan for my last post had been something somewhat bigger. However, as I said at the end of that post, what I wrote and what I thought turned out to be a lot more than I had expected.

Instead, I decided that rather than write a really big post, I would just break it into two.

So, here is part two.

The Pull List

So, while I read Kaijumax at home, the descent onto the UK of Storm Eunice meant that I returned to getting the bus to work. This allowed me to catch up on my pull list comics for February (at least so far).

First of these was Star Trek: The Mirror War #4, which saw Picard and the Crew of the I.S.S. Enterprise-D continue their mission to acquire a fleet to call their own. However, when the Klingons catch up to them, Picard's mission looks set to fall at the first hurdle, until a familiar looking captain intervenes.

As I've mentioned several times prior, I've found so far through this series to be slow going (for want of a better description). However, this issue finally felt like the pace was picking up with events happening that seemed more relevant and/or consequential than all of the talking and planning which had taken place so far. I still have some questions regarding the story (in particular to the inclusion of some 'guest' cameos) but the story really seems to have started to gain the momentum.

I could say the same about the art, although the improvement is more in my appreciation than the work. This is because, while the pencils and colours are still solid (in my opinion), I feel I'm finally getting over the need to compare to Mirror Broken and just enjoying it for the quality it imbues. As a result of both these things, issue four was a good read for me and I'm now quietly hopeful in how the overall story will come across.

Moving on from Star Trek, I then had a back to back reading of Fantastic Four: The Reckoning and Fantastic Four #40, both of which marked the beginning of the Dan Slott event fifteen years in the making. Reckoning saw the war and chaos engulf the galaxy as the mysterious race known as the Reckoning finally begin their plan of revenge, starting with the Badoon Invasion of Earth. Meanwhile, picking up from the Reckoning special, #40 continued with the heroes of Earth (and the X-Men of Mars, apparently) holding back the Badoon onslaught, while the FF go retro as an enlightened Reed leads the way in ceasing the Reckoning's campaign against the galaxy.

After reading issue 38 and 39, I expressed hope that this event could up the series' game a bit, especially given how long this story has been set up. Fortunately, it certainly felt that way as I found myself enjoying the good reads which were both of these issues. While it certainly seems early days, I thought that there was plenty of action and spectacle, with a revelation which certainly has me intrigued. On top of that, the art by Carlos Pacheco and Rachel Stott respectively continues to match the style of the last nearly 20 issues that I've just been absolutely adoring (although I've found the FF's classic look to be somewhat jarring as it doesn't seem to match the rest of the book).

That said, there are some niggles to the story which are getting to me, not least revolving around Reed Richards, his momentary lack of scientific knowledge regarding the moon, his seemingly robotic transformation (and whether it is that or if Slott is trying to paint him as more uncaring to match what most people I've noticed seemed to think) and, maybe most importantly, where did Nick Fury Sr. get a new flying car from? Still, besides these things (as well as the cramped feeling, as if they are trying to fit too much into these issues), I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next (specifically with Sue's place in the event) and so I can't wait for the next instalment.

Reviews

Now, before I read anything in the last just over a week, either the comics from my pull list or Kaijumax, I took the time to read and review Bountiful Gardens vol. 1 for Pipedream Comics. Created by Ivy Noelle Weir, Kelly Williams, Giorgio Spalletta and Justin Birch, this was a story of prodigy teenagers facing horror-esque problems in deep space.

As always, the review details the nitty gritty of my thinking about this comic but, in short, I really liked and enjoyed reading this. Bountiful Garden's was really creepy and unnerving and, as a result, I found it utterly captivating as I followed these kids wake up in a situation which seemed to be totally over their heads. I loved the art as well because it really ramped up the creepiness to the point that by the end, I really couldn't wait to read the next volume (if one, hopefully, comes into being).

And that's been my week (or two)!

Now I'm all caught up I hope to get back into some sort of a groove and get back to a sense of one trade a week. First up though, I would like to focus on Kickstarters given that my reward of Hallowed North #1 arrived in my inbox during the week as well as Fellhound's newest campaign for 'And We Love You' has taken off.

However, they might take second fiddle as I want to check out what's changed now that Comixology to Amazon and test those changes in a real time reading scenario.

And I have just the comic (or several ... hundred) to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment