Friday 7 July 2023

She-Hulk #14

While the trip into work today allowed me to read Ultimate Invasion #1, I decided to use the trip home to read She-Hulk #14.

This issue, continued the story Rainbow Rowell was giving us the last few issues as the Sensational She-Hulk finds herself increasingly torn between boyfriend Jack of Hart and the attention of the villainous Scoundrel, even as she attempts to figure out the reason for the latter's spate of robberies.

This installment felt like a much quieter issue than the prior entries, which, of course, is most likely a 'calm before the storm' issue (especially as it is so near to the arc's end).

That said, I still thought this was a terrific issue, with Rowell finally giving Jen some much need answers and closure surrounding her torn affections in what felt like (for me anyway) a real fist pump moment.

I have to admit, while I haven't (admittedly) read many series of She-Hulk prior to this (Soule's run is kind of it), Rainbow Rowell really seems to get the character of Jen Walters. She has continued to feel like a strong and respectful character throughout this, regardless of her own internal turmoil, and has seldom (if ever) been turned away from this consistent personality in favour of some forced drama.

I could say the same about Andres Genolet's art, which feels equally respectful with Shulkie's appearance always being stylish and no gratuitous. In fact, this issue, nay, entire run has such an adorable and classy beauty to it.

During the day today, I listened to Talking Comics recent podcast episode and upon hearing the theory that this book may have been 'stealth cancelled', I have to admit that I'm gutted. This run of She-Hulk has been absolutely 'Sensational' from beginning to end and actually hope that this notion of cancellation is actually false so I can read it for a long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment