Sunday 17 July 2016

Black Magick #1-5 - Awakening

To me, Black Magick could be considered my unicorn or even my Eleanor (if you're a fan of Gone in 60 Seconds) because my attempts to read the issues of this title so far have been fraught with obstacles.

For, while I read the first issue without trouble upon release, my LCS had major trouble with acquiring the following instalments, causing me to go on a major hunt. Then, at least six months after the initial release, having found all the issues, I still was prevented from reading them due to life in general.

Suffice to say, this has been a difficult book to read.

Well, finally, I've gotten an hour to sit and plough through Black Magick's first five issues and, boy, was it worth the wait!

I loved reading this series, it was truly fantastic in every sense of the word. The story is really great, coming across to me more as a crime story with magical elements as I read through it. Of course, say I that kind of diminishes Rucka's skill because the supernatural elements are there and show off a great level of detail in his research (which I know because my friend, a Wiccan, said to me that's exactly right when I showed her issue 1). Nonetheless, Rucka makes this perfectly plotted and paced and, as a result, I'd say this is superior to Lazarus (which I didn't think was possible).

Of course, while I think the draw for most people was Rucka's name, I know the reason they'd stay is Nicola Scott's art. I found her stuff on Earth 2 and thought it was awe
some but the art here is on a whole different level, it's that incredible as the each panel is so detailed and realistic to an almost photographic extent. Honestly, I am in love with this art!

(P.S. I'm certain her issue 1 bad guy is a perfect image of the Riddler).

Shockingly, this isn't the most gorgeous panel in the
first five issues (although it is in the top five)!
Not that Scott is alone in its creation as the colouring, while sparingly used just makes the art incredible when it is implemented. I realised that in issue 3 that the colour was connected to everything magic, from candles to the eyes of the possessed but so seamless is its use that it barely registered beyond its making terrific panels. Also, I thought the fiery splash in issue 1 was good but Scott and Colorist Chiara Arena just go one better with a splash page in every successive issue.

Also, I have to give props to Letterer Jodi Wynne. I don't usually praise letterers, not because they don't deserve it but because I'm not that good at critiquing their work, but her use of colour when a mobile rings amongst other things really caught my eye and only added to the books enjoyment.

To be honest, I could possibly go on and on about Black Magick. For me, it was as perfect a comic as I think I've ever read, with absolutely no faults in my eyes. The only downside is that there won't be any new issues until next year as Rucka and Scott help make Wonder a woman great again.

But it's a small price to pay. Besides, this first arc was worth the wait, therefore so will the next one be.

No comments:

Post a Comment