Sunday 17 July 2016

Star Wars: Skywalker Strikes

I picked up Star Wars during Comixology's May the 4th sale along with Darth Vader, due mainly because I'd heard so much good stuff about both series as well as the fact that A. I like Star Wars and B. the Princess Leia and Lando trades weren't half bad.

Well, having now read it Star Wars' first volume, I didn't think it was that bad, although I'm not sure if it's as good as many raved about it.

The problem with it is its plot. There was nothing inherently bad about it, but it was just something I really struggled to get into as the rebels went from destroying a base to going on separate missions. In fact, this division of the story might have been my problem as it took away from the necessary focus on the book overall.

That said, there was plenty of stuff in here I did like, such as Cassaday's which, while not quite Star Wars in look, certainly gave the universe a different vibe in my eyes. Also, Aaron seemed to pick up the various characters' respective voices quite accurately.

Of course, the real selling points to me were the hints of the Vader related events, such as Boba Fett's interrogation of the Rodian gang, which I found much more compelling (and probably hinted at my thoughts on the Vader book).

Of course, the revelation of what was in Luke's box from Obi-Wan has me extremely tempted to come back for seconds, but that really is it. This was a good comic, but I'm not sure it is one that I can't live without.

No comments:

Post a Comment