Sunday 17 July 2016

Morning Glories, vol. 1

I'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure where I picked up Morning Glories. We're Comixology giving it away? Was it on sale? Was it a gift? I seriously don't remember. All I know is that I have it within my library.

As a result, I figured it was high time to read through it and, therefore, decided that amongst this weekend's large reading list was as good a time as any to read the first volume.

Now, I'll admit, I wasn't sure what to make of Morning Glories as all I knew about it (and still do to some degree) was that it was about 6 kids starting at a new, very unusual school. However, this was one of those times where taking a leap of faith paid off as I really enjoyed this title almost immediately.
I can't say why I enjoyed it as Spencer seems to be keeping things close to his chest, but I found every page incredibly captivating and finding myself more and more intrigued about Morning Glory Academy with every new situation. This was also helped by the characters, all of whom came across as very interesting, especially the stoic Jun, the psychotic Ike and most definitely the teachers.
 
I'll admit the art was less of the draw for me here, but Joe Eisma's art is solid, with the soft pencils and Alex Sollazzo's light colours giving everything a bright look, even despite the troubling circumstances the main characters appear to be in.
 
If there's any bad points to this comic it was in the final chapter, which seemed to just be a complete departure to the rest of the book. However, it still had some connections and left me with still more questions which I need answering.
 
Nick Spencer is a writer whose work I've never gotten onboard with, such as with Ant-Man. However, with Morning Glories I think I've been turned around and so will need to get a few more of the trades, if only to figure out what the hell is going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment