Friday 30 December 2022

My favourites of 2022!

In honesty, the idea of sharing my best comics of the year isn't really something I focus on.

This is usually because with Pipedream Comics always doing a top 50 Comics of (insert year here), the idea of me doing the same or similar has always felt somewhat redundant.

However, as this year there is no 'top 50 comics' and, given that there might not be again going forward, I figured I'd take some time and just talk about my favourite Comics through the year.

So, here we go ...



Favourite Comic: Do A Powerbomb! - I've yet to read the final issue as I write this, so there is a chance that the finale has totally ruined it. However, after six issues, I think it's fair to say that Daniel Warren Johnson's wrestling epic is my favourite Comic this year. It has been truly captivating, heartfelt and the artwork is just truly fitting in its kinetic-ness. I dunno if I expected anything this good when I picked it up, but am I glad I did.



Most surprising comic: X-Terminators - I remember when I first saw X-Terminators in the solicits, its concept jumped out at me. However, with more and more opinions going against it, I found myself going back on my initial enthusiasm. Therefore, three issues in Leah Williams had surprised me with just how much hilarity and fun this mini series is. True, it took time for me to ease into it, but this is a series which doesn't mind not taking itself too seriously and, for that, I'm glad I stuck with my initial Instincts.



Favourite cover: Jen Bartel's She-Hulk #7 (although all of them could easily be roped in there) - Rainbow Rowell's She-Hulk series is a good series for the most part (I wont lie, some issues dip below the quality line in my eyes) but, I must confess, when I look at those Jen Bartel covers every month, I'm filled with enthusiasm for the upcoming issue, regardless of what happened last time. Of all of them so far  issue 7, with it's eighties noir-ish aesthetic, has captivated me the most, although I do wonder if the covers further down the line will simply be better still.


Favourite story arc: The Taking of Baxter 1.2.3.4. (Fantastic Four#47-48) - While Dan Slott's run was ... interesting, probably the best story arc of 2022 was what came after it. I'm a big fan of David Pepose's work (Spencer and Locke and Scout's Honor in particular) and so when I saw he was doing a two issue tie-in to Judgement Day, I was already excited beyond belief. However, even that excitement level couldn't compare to how good this superhero homage to Die Hard was. I thought Pepose produced a blinder of a story that focused on the most underutilised FF member Sue Storm, while artist Juann Cabal's style was so slick that I couldn't help but be mesmerized. Now, the second issue didn't quite hold up to the first but, between them, this was undoubtedly my favourite story of the year and a great prelude to whet my appetite for Ryan North's run.



Favourite trade: Superman Red and Blue - I read a lot of trades during 2022, although almost none of them were released this year. However, out of everything I did read, it was all the way back at the beginning of the year and Superman Red and Blue and its hopeful selection of two tone stories which continued to stick in my mind. In a year of ups and downs for the Man of Steel, I never forget how much this trade reminded of how great a character Superman is.






And with that, 2022 is done (well, except for my December comics, which I hope to pick up next week).

Now, roll on 2023 and all the new comics it brings.


No comments:

Post a Comment