Friday 2 December 2022

Re-Reading ... House of M: Fantastic Four #1-3


When I first jumped into comics (20 years ago ... wow!), I jumped in pretty hard. What started with watching the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man and picking up one or two trades quickly evolved into picking up a new trade or two every week and devouring them both at the same sort of speed.

Amongst my early reads was the Brian Michael Bendis-led event, House of M. With this (the first of the now standard 'yearly event'), I remember picking up not just the main run but also every tie-in, collecting myself the entire story stuffed into seven trades (and later nine when House of M: Avengers and Civil War were released).

Since then, I've cut the wheat from the chaff as all the ancillary books have been sold on, leaving me with just the main event. However, there has since been one which I loved above all others and regretted parting with.

While attending the May MCM Comic Con I was lucky enough to find all three issues of House of M: Fantastic Four, the FF inspired tie-in to the House of M (although it wasn't actually part of the main FF run, but a series all on its own) and that one story I truly adored. This set of 3 issues told a sort of What If tales whereby Dr Doom was the leader of the 'Fearsome Four' along with his wife Valeria's 'Invincible Woman', son Kristoff's 'Inhuman Torch' and Ben Grimm's 'the It' and saw the world from his eyes as he served as both the leader of Latveria as well as an unwilling servant to the ruling House of M.

Created by John Layman, Scott Eaton, Don Hillsman and Dean White, I remember how much I enjoyed reading this short story back when it first came out as it became one of more regular re-occurring reads over the years. Now, re-reading it after a large time without, I'm reminded all over again how just how enjoyable I find these three issues.

I think what I enjoy most is the ... 'almostness' of it as the background to the story is laid out to make me think that how close it could have come from traditional continuity to have actually happened. In fact, if you took away from story the whole 'House of M' background, I certainly would have been forgiven for thinking it was actually a story from the archives of What If.

Regardless, despite the major change of Doom acquiring the FF's cosmic powers for him and his, it really feels that Layman paints a picture of Doom which is all round traditional. However, the added wrinkle that his ego is fuelled by his mother is something I've never noticed in issues past, although it certainly makes sense when looking at some of his origin stories (like in Books of Doom). That said, Layman also cements the idea that, compared to his nemesis 'Richards', Doom still comes up short thanks to both the finale as well as the rather dark and bitter relationship with Ben Grimm's 'It'.

Speaking of dark, Scott Eaton and Don Hillsman turn out a trio of gorgeous looking issues, with each page looking rather dull and dirty. In fact, it makes me think that I'm looking at the story through a dirty, broken and mirror as the pages just seem to imbue a darkness which contrasts against the brighter, more hopeful vibe the main Fantastic Four series always emits (certainly from my perspective).In fact, this whole story has this kind of 'Star Trek Mirror Universe' vibe to it, especially thanks to the character designs, where each member of the 'Fearsome' Four looks truly terrifying.

As I think back to 2005 and the various tie-ins which came along thanks to House of M, I must admit I'm at a loss to think of one which has stuck with me like this one has. House of M: Fantastic Four is a really enjoyable Elseworlds style tale for me that feels like a great choice if you want to fill a gap in your reading schedule.

I'm glad I took the effort to buy it this past May (although I do wish I'd read it sooner than late November).


No comments:

Post a Comment