Monday 12 December 2022

My Pull List: November (2022)'s comics

This post has taken a lot longer to get out on the feed than was planned.

The reasons behind the delay have been twofold. 1 - Christmas prep has started to occupy a lot more of my time than I would like (Hell, my Warhammer painting has all but dried up for the moment) and 2 - November gave me a couple more comics than I was expecting thanks to a double bill of She-Hulk as well as a Star Trek one-shot that snuck into my draw.

So, rather than beat around the bush, let's get to it!

Do a Powerbomb #6 - In my opinion, Do A Powerbomb is a truly phenomenal series and issue six is no exception. Partly focusing on the backstory of Cobrasun, this issue gives the Steel and Sun a 2nd chance at victory, but only by defeating someone I didn't expect to be a wrestling fan. Like all the other issues, this one has so much heart, is so captivating and looks so kinetic that it kills me I have to wait a month for the next issue. It'll break my heart when I realise there is no more to come.

Fantastic Four #1 - A new start with a new creative team for the First Family as we get an easy going start with the Grimms (well, Ben and Alicia) going on a road trip, only to find themselves experiencing Groundhog Day in a town (literally) stuck in the 40's. I liked this issue, with it feeling like a nice and easy way of reintroducing the series, it was fun seeing more of the Alicia/Ben dynamic away from the usual madness. The art was also gorgeous, reminding me of the Isaakze/Medina/etc run of issues we got under Slott's tenure. Of course, the end pages have me intrigued about what is going on in the larger world, but this issue really didn't need a hook have me back after this good start.

Star Trek #2 - Picking up from last issue's 'shattering' conclusion, Sisko and the crew of Thessius attempt to discover more about the weapon being used to kill Gods, leading them to meet up with an old friend. I felt that the first issue was a really good start which had me all in. Unfortunately, this second instalment left me a little put off as the story dived into a very different Klingon political culture than I was either used to or expecting (it also contradicted some prior references). Also, the rendition of the Klingons seemed a little off to me. Hopefully, it is just a little bit of starting problems and it'll pick back up next time. For now, the concept still has me hooked enough to come back next time.

X-Terminators #3 - The saga of Dazzler, Jubilee and Boom-Boom's night out continues as this trio (along with Wolverine Laura Kinney) continue to make their escape from Dazzler's vampire ex, although it may prove more difficult when they discover they are a little further from home than expected. Issue 3 had been planned for further down the pecking order but, after listening to an opinion on it during a Talking Comics episode, I must admit, my appreciation has once again increased. This issue seemed a lot more fun as I think I've gotten a handle on the humour and the art. I think this may end up being a series I read as a whole to find its overall greatness, but this instalment has certainly better captured my attention.

She-Hulk #7 & #8 - As Jen Walters' life falls a little more into place before encountering the big bads of this series (along with the reasons for their being both 'Big' and 'Bad'), this double bill of the series felt like a much more enjoyable read than many of the issues Rainbow Rowell has given me before. I think the reason for this is simply my getting more comfortable in the world and the writing as I don't believe there is much different that occurs than has already (to an extent). Also, while the artist on board has changed, the style brought to these adventures doesn't appear to have. It seems just down to my emotional vibe as I read these that both issues were really good reads, from the gorgeous covers (if nothing else, I'm really loving the covers) and beyond. I'm certainly engrossed and eager for the next issue.

Star Trek: Trill - A One-shot which wasn't originally on my pull list, Star Trek: Trill follows a Vanah, a member of the eponymous race who is given an opportunity she thought had passed her by when she is joined with one of her people's few symbiotes. However, when Vanah discovers a repression of the memories from her past lives, she comes to discover that there is a greater danger to being joined with this particular symbiote than anyone could have realised. Despite this book finding its way into my file at my LCS' assumption, and my deciding to give it a shot, I wasn't expecting great things from this comic.

However, Jody Houser totally turned me around on this with a story that is equal parts introspective essay and crime thriller. I really loved the change around to what you assumed was a 'life and times of a joined Trill' and into something more sinister. Meanwhile, the art had a kind of Rags Morales/Action Comics' Superman vibe to it which really worked well. All in all, I was worried that I was wasting a great deal of money here ($8 price tag had me questioning) but, honestly, This One-Shot was actually a really good read and I'm sad there isn't a guarantee of more at this quality.

So, that's all of the comics from my Pull list for November. Now, I don't know what I was expecting from this selection, but I know that I wasn't expecting so many really enjoyable reads. However, after a week of reading all of these comics, I'm looking forward to 2023 and the opportunity to pick up all of the next issues for most of these series.

In the meantime though, I'm moving onto some new comics as my recent birthday gained me copies of Tom Taylor's DCeased and Nick Roche's Scarenthood.

So now I just need to decide which one I'm going to read first.

No comments:

Post a Comment