Monday 7 August 2023

Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent #6


I've reached the end of a week of Pull List comics today by reading the second of the two comics (so far) for ugust; the Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent #6.

From Tom Taylor, Clayton Henry and Jordie Bellaire, the finale of the Son of Kal-El's six issue jaunt to the Injustice universe comes to an end as Jon attempts to rescue that Universe's versions of Batman and Harley Quinn, both of whom are facing execution. However, to do so, he'll first have to get take on the Justice League.

Whereas almost all of the issues prior to this have been incredibly quiet and slow reads, I felt that this one really ramped up the action. However, Tom Taylor certainly put a wonderful Superman spin to it as he showed that, for Jon Kent, being Superman is about more than throwing punches.

Unfortunately, that is really the only positive I took away from this issue as the ending felt rushed and the art from Clayton Henry, while solid, didn't really wow or resonate with me (although his depiction of the aforementioned twists certainly elicited something of 'go Superman' feeling).

I do wonder of reading this series as a whole rather than piecemeal might connect with me better, if only because the 'It's a Wonderful Life'-esque moral that's hinted at the end certainly intrigues me that I want to give it another chance.

However, while the final page hints at another mini-series to come, for the moment I think I'll probably be giving it a miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment