Thursday 24 August 2023

Uncanny Avengers #1

It's been a week since I picked up Uncanny Avengers #1 and, up until now I've struggled to find either the words or enthusiasm to write something about it.

However, today i thought I'd give it a go.

Released under the 'Fall of X' banner and from Gerry Duggan, Javier Garron and Morry Hollowell, Uncanny Avengers picks up from the FCBD teaser as Captain America, on the heels of his failure to capture 'Captain Krakoa' and with faith in the Mutant Nation now at an all time low thanks to Orchis, reforms the Avengers Unity Squad with Rogue, Quicksilver, Psylocke, Deadpool and Monet St. Croix (going by Penance now, apparently) in order to fix both problems.

I won't lie, after reading the teaser from FCBD, I was really looking forward to this mini-series (I mean, I assume it's a mini-series). However, this first issue felt like a completely different story from that teaser. I mean, it isn't but the opening is so reliant on the FCBD issue that it feels that should have been issue 1 and this issue 2. Not to mention that the issue relies too heavily on what feels like a hefty knowledge of the current X-Men storylines.

That said, it also feels like a completely different series in terms of the writing, with the tone, tempo and all round vibe feeling completely darker and slower (not to mention the art, which looks way more Scott Kolins here than the Jim Cheung-esque look in the free issue).

By the end, I think it was fair to say that Uncanny Avengers was not going to be a comic which was for me.

Which is a shame really because I was really expecting good things here. I guess this is proof that a book can't always be judged by a sample read.

No comments:

Post a Comment