Friday 11 August 2023

Captain Marvel: Higher, Further, Faster, More

My third and final holiday read was Captain Marvel: Higher, Further, Faster, More by Kelly Sue DeConnick, David Lopez and Lee Loughridge.

Taking place back when the Captain's now iconic look was new, Carol Danvers journeys into space to find new adventure and return a crash landed alien girl, Tic, to her people. However, when she arrives, Captain Marvel must work to stop said people from being forcibly relocated by a galactic power.

I'm not sure what to say about this trade. While the first issue felt a little slow and monotonous, the plot soon ramped up on Action and captivation. Kelly Sue DeConnick really seems to form a while new character for Carol Danvers, who always felt a little two dimensional from the (limited) times I read her appearances prior. However, here she's not only heroic and no nonsense, buy also quirky and, most importantly, a big nerd.

Lopez and Loughridge's artwork seemed to match the essence of the story. It's colorful, light, clean and energetic, which is all very much in keeping with the story DeConnick was telling.

If there is an issue with this trade for me, it is that it felt too light and humourous for my liking (if that is even such a thing). DeConnick is telling a story about finding your place and fighting for it, but I feel it really skirts those ideas in exchange for a little brainless fun.

That said, maybe I'm just wanting my cake and eating it too. After the seemingly balanced read of Black Widow, followed by the dense Captain America, this is certainly a move to the other end of the spectrum.

In the end though, this was still a fun read which helped pass 90 minutes (or there abouts) of lull as my holiday wound down.

No comments:

Post a Comment