Thursday 3 August 2023

Fantastic Four #10




No sooner do I finish reading my July Pull List comics but August begins and some new entries are released.

Therefore, with a couple of new comics to read, I figured I'd start with my favourite series in the form of Fantastic Four #10.

This issue, from Ryan North, Leandro Fernández and Jesus Arburtov, takes place on an alien sleeper ship ad the most recent in a line of caretakers awakes to find his predecessor long dead, their ark ship carrying their entire race in hypersleep at a dead stop and a mysterious piece of artwork portraying four fantastical beings.

So far this series I've previously thought that Ryan North has been writing stories within this comic series which skew towards a horror/Twilight Zone kind of tone. Well, this issue feels no different as North seems to have channelled Event Horizon in the crafting of this tale. Told from the perspective of multiple caretakers over centuries (thanks to timey wimey stuff), the plot feel incredibly haunting and creepy and had me in equal parts wanting to cover my eyes (something I still do with Event Horizon at nearly 40) and being too compelled to even consider putting this issue down.

I think a major factor to this last part is the art. Leandro Fernández and Jesus Aburtov together craft a truly unnerving environment with a style that reminds me of Scott Kolins but feels cranked way up to eleven thanks to some seriously moody colours.

There are some parts of this issue which doesn't make sense to me, all of which involves the timey wimey element. However, this is barely a blip to me in an otherwise atmospheric and addictive read.

I'm glad to see that the Four are truly Fantastic again under North's. I look forward to seeing it continue for a good long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment