Friday 25 August 2023

Fantastic Four Annual #1

This might be a short post as, going into it I'm not sure what to say.

On the Wednesday just gone, I picked up Fantastic Four Annual #1. The Contest of Chaos tie in by Zac Gorman and Alan Robinson saw Johnny Storm, participating in the high octane pastime of finding Ben Grimm shoes, suddenly finds himself transported to He'll (or certainly something like it). It is there that he encounters the Ghost Rider, leading to a little fire vs fire action.

Now, I said this might be a quick one and, simply put, that's because I'm really not sure what I can say about this annual. Zac Gorman has cobbled together a quirky and light-hearted (which I certainly unexpected given some of the content) fight issue which seems to know exactly what it is. In fact, the choice of Johnny (Storm) as the primary protagonist while Johnny (Blaze) takes a more villainous angle certainly makes sense as it utilises the Torch's more acerbic sense of humour rather nicely.

Meanwhile, the artwork by Alan Robinson is solid, with it feeling very similar to the New Fantastic Four mini from earlier in the year. Its not a style which is my thing but it isn't inoffensive or anything and so it isn't a deal breaker.

When all is said and done, this annual is much most annuals I gave read in that it is an ok waste of time. I'm a little disappointed that Marvel had A. charge it at nearly £5/$5 and B. attempted to put it inside some larger 'event'. However, I'm certainly able to ignore the latter and just enjoy for how I thought it was; a chilled put use of 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment